Monday 17 November 2014

Day 4 - London to New York

I’m typing this next entry at 36,000 feet! I’m guessing they have the autopilot on as it’s pretty much dead on. This is a good time to have a quick catch up on what we’ve been up to!



There is a school behind the hotel, so we were woken up pretty much as planned at 8am by the sounds of school children. I ran out quickly to get some pastries for breakfast and we pretty much just had time to get ready, pack the final things into our bags and leave the hotel.

View from front and back through hotel window

We had a car booked to take us to the airport but as the Picaddily line, which takes you straight to Heathrow is right outside the hotel, we decided to save the money for later and take the tube. It was actually really easy to get to Heathrow, and we made it in about an hour.


I didn’t realise Virgin/Delta pretty much has Terminal 3 all to themselves.


Security was very quick to get through. We had a quick browse through the duty free. It was hard to think about buying anything right at the start of your holiday so we didn’t pull the trigger on anything. Hopefully the Black Friday sales will be the time to get some new things!

Another Christmas tree, and pre-flight cocktails

At the hotel I quickly went back on my old online journal that we used to keep in sixth form. This is the blog post I made on my livejournal just over 10 years ago when I last few via Heathrow. It’s incredible to think that last time, I had to pay to use a small internet computer in the terminal to access to internet. I’m sure it had a metal keyboard with one of the large balls for the mouse that was really difficult to use. I remember only had about 15 minutes. Compare that to today where now it only takes a few seconds to post on facebook and can be done from anywhere at anytime. I’m pleased to see that the blog is still there. Livejournal (if you’ve seen the social network) pre-dates facebook by quite along way.


We had a quick bite to eat at a resturuant, a quick cocktail too to easy my flighing nerves! And before long we were sitting in the gate waiting to board.

Not very good photo of seats!

We have some pretty good seats right at the front of premium economy. Honestly, I can be more than occupied by just looking out the window. I’m not sure why, maybe the anxiety of flying, but I felt a bit emotional looking at the clouds after we took off. I’ve tried to take some photos, but the camera always focuses on the window, but hopefully they’re clear enough for you to be able to tell what they were like.


Photos of the clouds

Photos from flying over Labrador Sea (East Cost of Canada)

And here is the obligatory food photographs! There was so much, and it was very nice. It was also followed with plenty of fizzy white wine that the flight attendant was giving us as we were on our honeymoon. We also had some delicious profiteroles from the First Class menu!

Food on the flight

In flight selfie

Right, I'm going to call it a day on this post. When the flight arrived in New York, we were pretty lucky and able to get through immigration without any problems, and thankfully our package arrived too! We had to wait a long time at the taxi rank, but eventually we got the cab and went straight to Smiti's apartment in Downtown Manhattan. She took us for a meal at a restaurant nearby, and we settled down for the night, which was actually 3am GMT, so we had done well to stay awake that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment